Plex - Spare Change (feat. Rellik, Touch and Leemai) (2010)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Plex talks about Spare Change

Spare Change is a collective effort to draw attention to our global crisis. I want this song to connect people and bring awareness that we're all in this together. We can no longer sweep our problems under the rug. We've tried that. We need to understand that whatever affects someone in Africa or Israel, is affecting everyone in the world. We've heard politicians speak about "change," and that's a good start, but it's time we put it into action.


What inspired me to write the song - growing up in Alberta, near the tar sands and witnessing the interconnectedness between the booming drug trade and the out of control pollution - both are directly "fueled" by the Oil Industry and people are dying as a result. As an artist I feel that the way I can address these issues is through my music and my unique cultural perspective.


Most of us aren't taught these things in school or by our parents - so if we want to be more conscious and make the world a better place we have to practice. Practice makes perfect. It starts with one person taking one step.


I'd like to see a shift in perspective - we live in a society that judges people for what they look like and not necessarily what they do or how they act. We should be more self conscious about littering or being wasteful not for how we look. It's hard but practice makes perfect.

15 comments:

  1. Awesome Doug. Well put, and the video is excellent as well. Glad my family and I were fortunate to meet you and Jen. Keep up the good work and eventuallythe message will get through. Peace Brother. B,L,N in Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Video Is Great & sends a important message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is in times like these that a message like this resonates through all people.

    Thank you Plex, you are an inspiration and a model of change.

    LOVE the video!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. an excellent message! more people need to be reminded of such messages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL.

    I will pass this on for sure.

    THANK-YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb video Plex, everyone in Canada (at the very least) needs to see this video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its a good song. ur doing good bro!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Doug. This is my favorite track of yours to date and I think the video is really good. I really like the message, the video concept and how the billboards were incorporated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome, keep promoting that sht...it's helping the "Awareness"...

    Back in junior high and high school I used to tell my friends "don't litter", carry it with you, you'll pass a garbage bin...some would reply "oh it's just a small piece of paper", and I'd just say "and if every one of threw that same piece of paper away, all we would have is a huge mess".

    Yeah man - you totally are making a difference - never give up (but I know you wont)!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we can be the generation that saves the planet.. we can be the most awesome generation there ever was..
    great job man.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey doug, hope your well man. congrats! and props on the video. holler, lets work on something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome Plex!! You are doing a great job of spreading the good word.. :) ·

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bill that is awsome. You guys did a wonderful job. Keep it up and you'ii go places.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awsome track. Don't stop with the good lyrics. Change is the action we all need to put in to action. Your already there so Keep doing your thing, that includes all yall and I.

    BRONX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yo bro, (Plex) that was a great collab. Ive always been a fan, but what speaks to me the most about that track is it inspires change whithin myself, after all change comes from within. So if im stuck or struggling in my own stuff, I'll play the track, take my head out my backside and hopefully see the bigger picture. Oh yeah that video was sick. One love always your homie. Les (just tryin to do my part).

    ReplyDelete

Be the movement and share your voice!